Class 2 - Week 6 - 11/5/20 - 15/5/20
For those of you working and learning from home in these troubling times we are doing our very best to support and continue the education of all children. We hope that you will find the links and resources that we upload to these pages useful and that you will engage your children in lots of different learning opportunities. Above all, stay well and stay safe.
Week 6 -
Please continue to work through the 'Animal Carnival' booklet this week.
Read and listen to the story "The Secret Sky Garden" and complete the activities below. Do not listen to the whole story straight away.:
1. Listen to the words on the first two pages and spend time looking at the illustration. What is happening here? How does Funni feel about this place? What words in the text tell us this? What shows us in the illustration? Look again at the place described in the picture. What words or phrases would you use to describe it? Do you think Funni would describe it in the same way? What do you think she would say about this place? You could write your ideas in a thought bubble, writing in character as Funni.
2. Re-listen to the story again and listen to the things Funni likes about being high up on the car park: ‘But Funni loved being there, hearing the planes take off and touch down, while the blue rooves stretched for miles like a calm, still sea.’ What do you think Funni sees as she gazes out over the city? Draw a picture of this as though you are looking through her eyes. You might draw the buildings and houses with their blue rooves, you might draw the aeroplanes taking off or touching down. What else might she see as she looks over the city? Are there any clues in Fiona Lumbers’ illustrations? You might choose to listen to the descriptive language ‘like a calm, still sea’ and draw what she imagines she sees as she is up there. Draw this out. Once you have drawn your picture, share your drawings with someone else if you can, or talk about what you have drawn with someone else: what is similar about the drawings? What is different?
3. Re-listen to the pages again and talk about what you have read. Why do you think Funni loves being in this place? Is it a place you would like to visit? Why or why not? Why do you think this place looks like it does now? Is it right for people to leave a place looking like this? What should happen to rubbish and waste?
4. Think about this place in more detail: Do you think this is a good place for Funni to be? Why or why not? How could it be transformed to become a nicer place for Funni to visit? Would there be things she could do by herself? What would she need to be able to do this? You could write some of these ideas down, or draw out a plan for Funni of what the car park could look like and how to achieve this.
5. Think about your own favourite places and spaces. This might be your home, or an outside space such as your garden, a local play space or park. Think about the different ways in which you could be responsible for this place to help keep it nice and make a list of these ideas. It might be a list for your home, such as: Hang up or put away my clean clothes. Put my dirty clothes in the laundry. Put my toys away after I have finished playing with them. Tidy up my pens and pencils. Take off my shoes and put them away. Help to clean up after dinner. Put this up somewhere prominent and use this as a checklist to keep this a nice place for everyone that uses it. You can ask your family to add other things to the list that they will do to help, or add things that all the community needs to do, if you are thinking about a community space, like throwing rubbish in a bin, and not on the ground.
Follow the links below for video lessons provided by White Rose. Watch and pause the videos to discuss the maths.
Year 1 - Addition
Year 2 - Addition and Subtraction
I am aware some parents are having trouble accessing the White Rose Maths videos. Please try and complete the tasks sent out in the post using my videos if possible:
Adding suffixes 'full' and 'less' to root words.
Music - Choose a task from the ideas shared by Kathryn here
Cross Curricular Project- (April 20th - May 22nd 2020)
School360 - Online learning for all subjects
Phonics Play - (works best on a tablet)
TTRockstars - Timestables practice
NumBots - Number fluency
Body Coach TV - Joe Wicks 30 minute PE lessons
SPaG - Classroom Secrets web games for spelling, punctuation and grammar
Stuck for something to do? Here are some excellent links to various online resources